Welcome to our family's kitchen!

These are some of our family's favorite recipes, including a lot of recipes that were handed down from my mother before she passed away. I often joke that I graduated from "The Culinary Institute of Mom's Apron Strings." My boyfriend and I love to cook; he even creates a special dinner every Friday night based on an important, or funny, or ridiculous historical event. You can look that up at "Doomed to Reheat" - we even do a podcast that you can listen to! We're a family of cooks, whether it's professional or amateur, and we hope you enjoy our recipes!

I am learning to blog as I go along, so please be patient with my mistakes! Until I figure out how to remove the headers, please use the links on the right side of the page to access recipes. I will add recipes as we find them, or as I find them from my current (very large) stash of recipes.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Chicken and Dumplings

2 Tbsp butter
2 1/4 cups White Lily Self-Rising Flour, divided
Montreal Chicken Seasoning, to taste
Lawry's Seasoned Salt, to taste
4 cans chicken broth
1/4 cup butter, chilled
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 cups cooked, diced chicken (I used chicken legs that I had already baked)
 
 
Melt 2 Tbsp butter in Dutch oven.  I also add the drippings from the baked chicken.  Whisk in 1/4 cup flour.  Gradually add 3 cans chicken broth into Dutch oven.  Bring to a boil.  Remove from heat.
 
Place 2 cups flour in large bowl.  I also add in Montreal Chicken Seasoning and Lawry's Seasoned Salt to my flour.  Be careful not to use too much - better too little spices than too much.  Cut in 1/4 cup butter (about 1/2 a stick); (you can use a pastry blender or I just use a fork) just until mixture is the size of peas.  Blend in just enough chicken broth from the 4th can until dough leaves sides of bowl (approx 1/2 cup, but may be less or more).  Pour any remaining broth into Dutch oven.
 
Turn dough onto lightly floured surface.  Knead 2-3 times.  Roll dough to 1/8 inch thickness.  Cut dough into strips, about 2 x 1 inch.  Return broth to boiling.  Add dumpling strips to boiling broth.

No comments:

Post a Comment