Welcome to our family's kitchen!

These are some of our family's favorite recipes, including a lot of recipes that were handed down from my mother before she passed away. I often joke that I graduated from "The Culinary Institute of Mom's Apron Strings." My boyfriend and I love to cook; he even creates a special dinner every Friday night based on an important, or funny, or ridiculous historical event. You can look that up at "Doomed to Reheat" - we even do a podcast that you can listen to! We're a family of cooks, whether it's professional or amateur, and we hope you enjoy our recipes!

I am learning to blog as I go along, so please be patient with my mistakes! Until I figure out how to remove the headers, please use the links on the right side of the page to access recipes. I will add recipes as we find them, or as I find them from my current (very large) stash of recipes.

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Buttercream Frosting

Buttercream Frosting (White, chocolate, or mocha)
1 lb confectioners sugar
1/2 cup butter of margarine, softened*
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbsp milk or water
Icing coloring (optional)
1 (1 oz) square unsweetened chocolate, melted (for chocolate)
2 Tbsp (of more, if desired) instant coffee (for mocha icing) (and the above chocolate)

* I prefer "home churned" pure butter, such as found in an Amish or Mennonite store

In large bowl, beat together sugar, butter, vanilla, and milk until smooth. If necessary, add more milk until frosting is spreading consistency. If desired, add a few drops of coloring. Stir to blend.

Makes enough to fill and frost 2 layer cake or 13x9 inch sheet cake or 2 dozen cupcakes.

To make chocolate icing, stir in melted chocolate.

To make mocha icing, stir in chocolate. Mix coffee with just enough water to liquefy coffee. Stir into icing. Very good with chocolate cake.

This icing is too soft to use as decorator's icing, but it can be stiffened by adding confectioner's sugar until proper consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment