Welcome to our family's kitchen!

These are some of our family's favorite recipes, including a lot of recipes that were handed down from my mother before she passed away. I often joke that I graduated from "The Culinary Institute of Mom's Apron Strings." My boyfriend and I love to cook; he even creates a special dinner every Friday night based on an important, or funny, or ridiculous historical event. You can look that up at "Doomed to Reheat" - we even do a podcast that you can listen to! We're a family of cooks, whether it's professional or amateur, and we hope you enjoy our recipes!

I am learning to blog as I go along, so please be patient with my mistakes! Until I figure out how to remove the headers, please use the links on the right side of the page to access recipes. I will add recipes as we find them, or as I find them from my current (very large) stash of recipes.

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Kit's Snickerdoodles

4 1/2 c. all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. shortening (I've also used butter)
2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. lemon extract OR 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest (I prefer the latter)
1 c. buttermilk (or put 1 TBLS of vinegar in a GLASS and add enough milk to make 1 cup. Let stand for 5 minutes before using. Note: do not mix this in a metal container)
1/2 c. sugar mixed with 2 TBLS cinnamon

In a bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

In another bowl (a BIG one) beat shortening on medium for 30 seconds. Add the 2 cups of sugar and beat. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Stir in vanilla and lemon. Add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk, alternating each. This is important: Cover and chill at least 4 hours.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Roll the dough into balls...about an inch and half in diameter, and then roll each ball into the cinnamon sugar mixture. Gently flatten with the palm of your hand on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 12-14 minutes.

TIP: I bake them for 12 minutes...and they don't look completly done. THEN, I let them sit on the hot cookie sheet while another batch is baking...and then transfer them to a cooling rack. They seem to 'bake' up a bit more when I let them sit.

These cookies have almost a biscuit like texture...very light and fluffy!! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment